9th ANNUAL cdrrx BOXING DAY NYC PUB CRAWL
- Penn Station – 11:30 AM – Main waiting area under the sign. The 10:42 out of Chatham (10:07 out of Dover, Train #6918/718, Morristown Line) arrives in NY at 11:44. Buy an all day MTA Fun Pass from a machine or a newsstand. Take the #11 bus south on 9th Ave to West 18th St., walk west to the river.
- Lunch 12:00 – Chelsea Brewing Company, W. 18th Street and West Side Highway, Pier 59, Chelsea Piers (212) 336-6440. – Leaving, walk east 4 long blocks to 7th Ave and take the M20 down to the intersection of 7th Ave, Bleecker St. and Barrow Street. Go ¾ of a block east on Barrow.
- Barrow Street Ale House — 15 Barrow Street (between West 4th and Bleecker). 212.206.7302. Leaving, go back west on Barrow to Bleecker and 7th Ave, then one block south on Bleecker.
- Blind Tiger – 281 Bleecker St. at Jones St. 212-462-4682. Opens 11:30. Leaving, go one block east on Jones, turn right onto W. 4th and go 1.5 blocks east.
- Vol de Nuit – 148 West 4th Street. 212.979.2616 Usually opens at 4 PM. If closed, walk east on West 4th three blocks to Thompson. Turn right (south) and go 1 block to Half Pint (see Backups below). If open, return west to 6th Ave and go south 4 blocks to Houston to take the bus.
- Take #21 Bus (if not walking) across Houston to 1st Ave (aka Allen Street). Runs every 20 minutes on Saturday afternoon. Walk north to d.b.a.
- d.b.a., 41 1st Avenue (between 2nd and 3rd streets). (212) 475-5097. A clean winter coat for the homeless gets you a free pint! Leaving, walk north on 1st Avenue five full blocks to St. Marks, turn right (east) and go 1/2 block.
- Hop Devil – 129 St. Marks Place (off Avenue A), 212-533-4468. Leaving, go west 1/2 block to 1st Ave and take the M15 bus north to East 29th Street. Walk one block north to E. 30th and then one block west to the corner of second. Have a beer!
- Waterfront Ale House — 540 2nd Avenue (at 30th Street). 212.696.4104 Leaving, walk four long blocks west to Madison Ave, turn right and go three blocks north to E. 33rd and then ½ block west to #14. Have a beer!
- Rattle and Hum – 14 East 33rd , 10016, between Madison and 5th Ave. (212) 481-1586 – a new craft beer bar! Leaving, go back east to Madison and north three blocks to E. 36th and then ½ block west to the Mecca of Beer on Tap!
- The Ginger Man – 11 East 36th Street (between 5th and Madison). (212) 532-3740 Leaving, go ½ block west to 5th Avenue, then two blocks south to 34th Street.
- Heartland Brewery (Empire State Building), — 350 5th Avenue at East 34th . Leaving you have two choices – beer or trains. Leaving, go south ½ block to East 33rd and then 1.5 blocks west to Stout. If you don’t want to stop, another block gets you to Penn Station.
- (Extra Credit) Stout – 128-135 West 33rd Street, 212-629-6191. A bar dedicated to stouts! If you’re still on your feet, go one block west to Penn Station and go home!
There are backups that are not listed in case of closures.
- One beer per pub is now a GOAL, not a requirement.
- Avoid unplanned stops unless a bar has something special – don’t get drunk too quickly!
- Organize subgroups for sitting in case space is tight and for paying for rounds if we don’t want to hassle the pub with separate orders.
- Eat, but don’t eat a heavy meal. No food, you get drunk. Too much food, you either get sick or don’t have room for beer. Better to have a light lunch and get appetizers along the way.
- Wear layers. We may walk between some locations rather than take public transportation.
- Wear comfortable shoes for walking.
- Get an all day pass for the subways and buses from a machine or newsstand in Penn Station.
- At the subway entrance, ask the clerk for a system map. Very useful.
- Bring a NYC map if you have one.
- Starting after lunch, we will shoot for spending no more than 30 minutes at each stop.
- Note that dinner is not specified in this itinerary. We’ll eat when we get hungry! But not in some unknown pizzeria. Save pizza for snacks if you can’t hold out!